[Eeglablist] A second ICA after removing components?

Ronald Phlypo Ronald.Phlypo at ugent.be
Tue Aug 16 00:15:29 PDT 2011

Dear Max,

the problem lies in the maximally allowed number of components in both
decompositions. The first decomposition may allow for as many sources as
sensors (15 in your case). However, once 3 artefacts have been removed,
your data dimension reduces to 12, which allows to estimate a maximum of
12 sources only. To circumvent this problem, I suppose what the wiki
means is to do local decompositions first (trial by trial or epoch by
epoch) and then concatenating the trials/epochs again after their
correction and before the second "joint" decomposition. Since in this
case the artefact removal is nonlinear, it does not reduce the dimension
of your concatenated data.

Hope this helps,

Ronald

PS: you might also want to have a look at
http://www.hindawi.com/journals/cin/2007/075079/cta/ where short time
and long term windows are used jointly for artefact removal. The text
refers to literature on the mean duration of electrophysiological
processes to motivate this decision.