[Eeglablist] newtimef issues

Scott Makeig smakeig at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 05:43:12 PDT 2011

*1. winsize - I know that the default is frames/8. However, since I`m
interested in the range of 1-200 Hz and I`d like to have good time
resolution, I`m using a window of 64msec and padratio of 16. Am I going to
be criticized for using such a short window?*

Ido - You should realize that a window of 64 ms will not be able to 'see'
even one cycle of oscillations below 17 Hz. You can change the window length
according to frequency using 'cycles', and the number of output time steps
by another parameter (see >> help newtimef).  The newtimef 'cycles' default
is [3 0.5]; study the help msg for the meaning. To reduce the number of
frequencies with relevant spacing across 1-200 Hz, consder using log-spaced
frequency bins.

Scott Makeig

--
Scott Makeig, Research Scientist and Director, Swartz Center for
Computational Neuroscience, Institute for Neural Computation & Adj. Prof. of