[Eeglablist] Question about helium-pump artifact of EEG

Helen Juan Zhou zhoujuan227 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 01:06:02 PST 2013

Dear All,

My group is working on some eeg data recorded simultaneously during fMRI
scanning and it has been contaminated with helium pump (HP) artifacts.
The HP noise in our data has a significant peak around 35 Hz in power
spectrum, however, its harmonics have also contaminated the eeg signal
in other frequencies. Anyone know how to remove the HP artifacts from EEG
effectively?

We have tried to remove this noise using ICA, however, most of ICs seem to
contain HP
harmonics pattern (based on visual inspection of ICs power spectrum).
Therefore, I have a concern that removing all of these ICs (with peak
around 35 Hz) may lose other informative part of data.
Appreciate any advice, comment or suggestions.

Thank you and best regards,
Helen Juan Zhou

*Helen Juan Zhou,  Ph.D.
*Assistant Professor/Principal Investigator
Neuroscience and Behavioral Disorders Program
Duke-NUS Graduate Medical School, Singapore
8 College Road, #06-33, Singapore 169857   Tel: (65) 66012392  Fax: (65)
62218685
Email: helen.zhou at duke-nus.edu.sg<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/html/compose/static_files/helen.zhou@duke-nus.edu.sg>
          Website:
https://sites.google.com/site/mneuroimaginglab/ <