[Eeglablist] One or two dipoles

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Fri Feb 8 14:21:49 PST 2013

Dear Pål,

Thank you for asking a very important question.

> just reflect uncorrelated activity has to be decided from the signal and
the situation.

As long as ICA works, this never happens. This is because if ICA finds two
foci, it means that they oscillate together in synch.

>By the way, it seems like the two dipoles are placed symmetrically. Why?

By default symmetry constraint is on (checked). You can uncheck it to see
what happens. The theoretical reason for this is that synchronization of
visual and motor cortices is mediated by corpus callosum and known to have
symmetrical sources (see fMRI studies...) Interestingly, the auditory
cortex seems to be somewhat different; ICA never gave me a paired auditory
sources.

Makoto