[Eeglablist] changing the reference electrode for use the SIFT toolbox

Tim Mullen mullen.tim at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 12:12:55 PST 2013

Dear John,

If you are using connectivity measures with channel data, an average
reference or laplacian reference are better choices than linked mastoid
reference.  See the following paper for a good discussion in the context of
coherence analysis (with applicability also to Granger causality):

Nunez, P. L., Srinivasan, R., Westdorp, A. F., Wijesinghe, R. S., Tucker,
D. M., Silberstein, R. B., & Cadusch, P. J. (1997). EEG coherency. I:
Statistics, reference electrode, volume conduction, Laplacians, cortical
imaging, and interpretation at multiple scales. *Electroencephalography and
clinical neurophysiology*, *103*(5), 499–515.
Be aware that connectivity measures applied to channels will generally
suffer from an increased rate of spurious coupling (false positives) due to
volume conduction. Spatial laplacians can help mitigate this.

If you are using components then the choice of reference is irrelevant (ICA
produces a reference-free signal).

Tim