[Eeglablist] Is there an auto method for prerocessing the data in order to remove artifact

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Fri Jul 24 11:57:33 PDT 2015

Dear Andria,

> Is there an auto method for prerocessing the data in order to remove
artifact?

Yes, there are several of them available as EEGLAB plugins.

> If yes, is such method considerd as a reliable way to be used for any
brain data?

No. Nothing is absolutely reliable yet, and there is no absolutely
established consensus in the field. Therefore, you have to choose the
methods at your own risk.

But we still have our recommended way to perform the automated
preprocessing. Use Christian Kothe's clean_rawdata() plugin. This uses very
smart algorithm, called ASR (artifact subspace reconstruction) to correct
artifacts. It is also equipped with sophisticated solutions for bad channel
detection etc. See below.
http://sccn.ucsd.edu/eeglab/plugins/ASR.pdf
See also below for info about more general preprocessing topics.
http://sccn.ucsd.edu/wiki/Makoto's_preprocessing_pipeline
Also check out Nima Bigdely-Shamlo's PREP pipeline.
http://journal.frontiersin.org/article/10.3389/fninf.2015.00016/abstract

Makoto