[Eeglablist] measurement unit of EEGlab power spectrum analysis

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Mon May 23 09:53:47 PDT 2016

Dear Kyongje,

> When the baseline is not removed, time-frequency analysis function gives
me the power calculated in different unit, which is 10*log_10 (uV^2/Hz).
This unit is also displayed when I just want to check out a specific
channel property (pop_prop function).  To me, this is quite confusing since
this unit is exactly the dB unit with respect to the identify unit of the
measurement (i.e., 1uV).  The term “uV^2/Hz” within the parenthesis is
nothing different from “(uV^2/Hz) / (1uV^2/Hz)”.

Well, this is one of those ever confusing things for me. One time I tested
it.
+/- 1 microV sine wave (peak to peak), the PSD peak level was 0dB.
+/- 10 microV, 20dB
+/-0.1 microV, -20dB

> Also, with limited knowledge on signal processing, I’m not aware of any
power calculation with Hz dividing the voltage measure (uV^2 /Hz). The
division by Hz would not matter if the power is calculated in this way:
“(uV^2/Hz) / (1uV^2/Hz)”, not just “(uV^2 /Hz)”. But, as it is now, the
term “(uV^2 /Hz)” is very confusing. I don’t think EEGlab is actually
dividing the voltage measure with the corresponding frequency. To me, the
“/Hz” term is semantics, not mathematics. I think the better way of
displaying the unit is something like this:  “10*log_10 (uV^2) per Hz” or
“10*log_10 (uV^2/ 1uV^2) per Hz” to be precise. But, again, these can
simply be written as “dB”.

I thought /Hz represents 'per second' (don't ask me why), if I understood
correctly.

> Am I misunderstanding anything here?

No, I think your understanding is good, unless I'm wrong.

Makoto