[Eeglablist] dipole fit position outside head map

Barone, Valentina (UT-TNW) v.barone at utwente.nl
Wed Jul 27 01:39:28 PDT 2022

Dear eeglab team,

I am defining single equivalent dipole localization using the dipfit_erpeeg() function with eeglab during a generalized seizure. I do that in a loop for each sample (sampling freq is 256 Hz) of the seizure, and then I plot all the dipoles on the MNI BME head model I use to define the dipoles. Once I plot the position of my dipoles in the same 3-d volume map used to define the dipoles, a couple of dipoles are positioned outside the head map. To plot each dipole I use the posxyz variable obtained from dipfit.model structure.
I do not understand how can some dipoles be positioned outside the head model used to fit the dipoles. Is anybody familiar with these results and can explain why this happens?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help.

Best regards,

Valentina