[Eeglablist] Converting Bipolar Channels to Monopolar Channels

Sina Lash sn807008 at dal.ca
Tue Aug 30 12:25:48 PDT 2022

Hey,

I am new to EEGLAB, and I have a question about converting bipolar channels to single channels. I downloaded data from an online source, and the channels are in a daisy chain montage. I need to compare this data with my own, and my channels are average referenced. So, to use this online data, I need to make the bipolar channels average referenced, determine their positions and change their labels to single channels.

I read here: https://sccn.ucsd.edu/pipermail/eeglablist/2020/016077.html that I need to reference the channels to a common channel before I do an average reference. The problem is that I don't have one common channel reference for all the channels. I can re-reference the channels in each chain to one of three channels (O2, O3, Pz) but I can't re-reference all the chains to one channel.

Can I do an average reference with 3 common channels so I can find the locations of the channels like in here https://sccn.ucsd.edu/pipermail/eeglablist/2020/016077.html ? Or does this mean I can't do it?

Thanks,
Sina