[Eeglablist] dipole fit position outside head map

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Mon Sep 12 18:23:11 PDT 2022

Dear Valentina,

Ok I see one dipole ahead of the nose and another one a few centimeters
posterior to the occipital scalp.

If I were you, I would obtain the indices of the ICs in question to
investigate what's wrong with them. This is not an issue you can solve by
thinking but investigating what's wrong.
That said, I think the majority of your ICs seem sound. My initial guess is
that those minor outliers are due to sporadic poor-quality data.

> Then why only a few dipoles do lie outside the headmap?

Each bad case usually has an understandable explanation (because computers
follow rules), but there is no general explanation for these random
outliers. You look into each of these cases and sometimes you can find
systematic cause, but not always.

> Most of the dipoles correctly positioned in the right lobe, but some of
them do lie in other areas (although they are the ones with a bigger
residual variance i.e. the bigger the size of the dots the higher the
residual variance is). How can I interpret the dipoles lying outside the
ideal area of interest?

With this visualization alone, I can't say for sure.
Do you want to show me these ICs via Zoom meeting?

Makoto