[Eeglablist] quick EEGLAB ICA question

Jason Palmer japalmer29 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 10:16:15 PDT 2011

Hi Jia,

There is some ambiguity in the case of non-stationary environments.
Generally for statistical estimation, more data means better estimates (of
components, activations, etc.), so you want as much data as possible.
However, if the data is non-stationary, then you have different data points
generated by different statistical systems, and combining the data will
generally degrade the estimation of either system. So you really want as
much data as possible generated from the statistical system of interest.

EEG data is usually preprocessed with a high-pass filter (remove mean and
low frequency drift) to increase the stationarity. We are essentially trying
to remove unimportant sources of non-stationarity to sample on from a
supposedly long-term stationary system of brain and other biological
sources.

Another issue is the number of sources that are present. Basic ICA assumes
that the number of sources is less than the number of sensors/channels. So
if you record from longer periods of time, you are likely to have more
"artifactual", transient type sources show up, which will force ICA to
compromise the independence of the estimated components.

If we assume that the same components are present at different times, and
that we have filtered and removed artifacts sufficiently to make the data
consist of fewer sources than sensors, then generally the more data the
better.

We might also assume that the same components are present in different
subjects. Again it will be important to try to preprocess out unimportant
differences (sources of nonstationarity) and try to be sure that the number
of sources is less than the number of data dimensions used.

Hope that's helpful.

Best,
Jason