[Eeglablist] Pre-processing the EEG signals collected from walking

stefan.debener stefan.debener at uni-oldenburg.de
Sun Feb 17 02:57:49 PST 2013

Hi
In my experience the amount of (interference and other) artifact during walking depends strongly on the eeg amp system and cap used. We managed to collect single trial eeg data of good quality from subjects walking outdoors - with a cheap, small and wireless system, as described in:
Debener et al. (2012). Psychophysiology.

Best,
Stefan
Ryan McKindles <ryan.mckindles at marquette.edu> hat geschrieben:Hi Lin,

Here are a few papers I would suggest to get you started on preprocessing EEG signals during walking.

EEGLAB Toolbox
--------------------------
Gwin 2010 Removal of movement artifact from high-density EEG recorded during walking and running. (pubmed)
Gwin 2011 Electrocortical activity is coupled to gait cycle phase during treadmill walking. (pubmed)
Wagner 2012 Level of participation in robotic-assisted treadmill walking modulates midline sensorimotor EEG rhythms in able-bodied subjects. (pubmed)
Petersen 2012 The motor cortex drives the muscles during walking in human subjects. (pubmed)
Lau 2012 Weighted phase lag index stability as an artifact resistant measure to detect cognitive EEG activity during locomotion. (pubmed)

Fieldtrip Toolbox
------------------------
Severens 2012 Feasibility of measuring event Related Desynchronization with electroencephalography during walking. (pubmed)

If you are looking for a BCI application see:
Presacco 2011 Towards a non-invasive brain-machine interface system to restore gait function in humans. (pubmed)

I hope you find these publications helpful, please let me know if you have any questions.

Kind Regards,

Ryan McKindles
www.ryanmckindles.com
Integrative Neural Engineering &